- What experience do you have? Ask for a brief description of financial professionals’ work experience and how it relates to their current practice.
- Is there an oversight body requiring ongoing education and ethics? Ask about the credentials a professional holds and learn how he or she stays up to date with current changes and developments in the personal finance field.
- What services do you offer? Asks about credentials, licenses, and areas of expertise that determine the services a financial professional can offer.
- What is your approach? Make sure a professional's philosophy and approach aligns with your needs and values. You also may consider your financial professional’s personality and communication style and personal compatibility.
- What types of clients do you typically work with? Some financial professionals prefer to work with clients whose assets fall within a particular range or are of a certain age.
- How much do you charge? A financial adviser should provide an estimate of possible costs based on the work to be performed.
- How will I pay for your services? Financial professionals can be paid in several ways (e.g., fees and commissions). As part of a written agreement, an adviser should make it clear how they will be paid for the services to be provided.
- Do others stand to gain from the financial advice you give me? Ask the professional to provide you with a description of any conflicts of interest in writing.
Friday, August 25, 2017
Questions to Ask a Financial Adviser
Looking for a financial advisor (e.g., financial planner, counselor, or coach)? Here are some questions to ask according to the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE):
Consider requesting a referral. Also ask whether an adviser has ever been disciplined for any unlawful or unethical actions.
The Financial Planning Association of New Jersey (FPA-NJ) recently held a seminar on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 (TCJA) and associ...
As a homeowner in a high-tax state (New Jersey), I took a very personal interest in this topic. A question from a colleague last week led ...
Credit Freeze Information in the Wake of the Equifax Hack I guess I touched a nerve with my post about the Equifax hack last week. Over 6...
Lack of financial savvy can put women (and men) at a substantial disadvantage. Statistics say it is only a matter of time before 85% to ...