- What experience do you have? Ask for a brief description of financial professionals’ work experience and how it relates to their current practice.
- Is there an oversight body requiring ongoing education and ethics? Ask about the credentials a professional holds and learn how he or she stays up to date with current changes and developments in the personal finance field.
- What services do you offer? Asks about credentials, licenses, and areas of expertise that determine the services a financial professional can offer.
- What is your approach? Make sure a professional's philosophy and approach aligns with your needs and values. You also may consider your financial professional’s personality and communication style and personal compatibility.
- What types of clients do you typically work with? Some financial professionals prefer to work with clients whose assets fall within a particular range or are of a certain age.
- How much do you charge? A financial adviser should provide an estimate of possible costs based on the work to be performed.
- How will I pay for your services? Financial professionals can be paid in several ways (e.g., fees and commissions). As part of a written agreement, an adviser should make it clear how they will be paid for the services to be provided.
- Do others stand to gain from the financial advice you give me? Ask the professional to provide you with a description of any conflicts of interest in writing.
Friday, August 25, 2017
Questions to Ask a Financial Adviser
Looking for a financial advisor (e.g., financial planner, counselor, or coach)? Here are some questions to ask according to the Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education (AFCPE):
Consider requesting a referral. Also ask whether an adviser has ever been disciplined for any unlawful or unethical actions.
Research indicates that one of the best ways to stick with goals is to set boundaries. In other words, draw a “line in the sand” and dev...
I usually try to avoid long lines and peak crowds as a way to reduce wasted time and mental stress. It didn’t quite work out that way this...
As a homeowner in a high-tax state (New Jersey), I took a very personal interest in this topic. A question from a colleague last week led ...
Credit Freeze Information in the Wake of the Equifax Hack I guess I touched a nerve with my post about the Equifax hack last week. Over 6...